The Trauma Survivor Project (TSP) provides trauma sensitive peer support to individuals who are in crisis, socially isolated or in need of additional community supports. The supports offered to individuals by peers provide an understanding of the profound impact of trauma and how trauma impacts the ability to engage in the healing and recovery process.
Individuals gain hope through:
- Sharing experiences with someone who can directly relate to what they are going through
- Learning practical tips on moving forward
- Receiving encouragement and support
- Getting answers to questions from the perspective of someone who’s ‘been there’
- Feeling less anxious, afraid and alone
- Provide in person and phone support
- Sit with individual in the emergency/crisis room
- Meet with them while they are in the hospital
- Spend time in the community
- Connect/reestablish community connections
Volunteers receive 60 hours of comprehensive and specialized trauma informed training. In addition all volunteers receive ongoing training and supervision by credentialed professionals.